PUBLIC NOTICE OF
VARIANCE APPLICATION NO. WW 255
DOCKET NO 07-WW-13
Pursuant to H.R.S. §342D-7(i), Hawaii Revised Statutes, the State Department of Health (DOH) seeks written comments from interested persons regarding the following, Mr. Fred Horwitz and Mr. George Hanselman of Life Care Center of Hilo, have applied for a five (5) year variance from Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) Section 11- 62-23. 1(c)(1) and (2) which states Unless otherwise specified by the director, the following distance requirements apply to all treatment works: (1) Treatment units, except as provided in paragraph (3), shall not be less than twenty-five feet from any property lines nor less than ten feet from any building and swimming pools: (2) Disposal systems, excluding effluent irrigation systems, shall not be less than five feet from a property line nor less than five feet from any building; and…
Mr. Fred Horwitz is the individual authorized to act for the applicant. The applicant has stated the requested variance is to allow the wastewater treatment plant, associated piping, and injection well(s) to be located with less setback distance to property lines than required by rule.
The applicant has made the following comments.
1. The wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) would be placed 10 feet from the North and West property boundaries. The discharge piping and injection wells would be five (5) feet from the West property boundary.
2. All current water quality standards. The design layout requires that a portion of the WWTP to be placed within the property boundary limitations, to maintain required number of parking stalls in the facility.
3. The proposed treatment individual wastewater systems (IWS) will provide greater protection than the large capacity cesspools. The proposed IWS is an improvement to the existing cesspool in terms of wastewater. The treatment system will provide pretreatment and sludge removal prior to effluent disposal.
4. The existng location of the facility is severely restrictive. The treatment system must be located to impact as few parking spaces as possible.
5. The variance is requested for the maximum of five (5) years.
If you would like to review the complete application, please call or write to the Wastewater Branch, 919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 309, Honolulu, Hawaii 96814-4920, telephone (808) 586-4294 fax (808) 586-4300 to obtain a facsimile. DOH will consider all written comments received within thirty days of this notice. If warranted, DOH may hold a public hearing on the variance application.
Chiyome Leinaala Fukino, M.D.
Director of Health (SB01535598 8/17/07)