COMBINED NOTICE OF FINDING OF NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT
AND NOTICE OF INTENT TO REQUEST RELEASE OF FUNDS
August 22, 2007
City and County of Honolulu
Department of Community Services
715 South King Street, Suite 311
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Phone (808) 768-7762
This Notice shall satisfy the above-cited two separate but related procedural notification requirements.
REQUEST FOR RELEASE OF FUNDS
On or about September 7, 2007, the City and County of Honolulu will submit a request to the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the release of Economic Development Initiative Special Purpose Grant funds under the VA-HUD- Independent Agencies Appropriations Act for FY 2005 (PL 108-447), for the following project:
Project: Poamoho Camp Infrastructure
Location: Poamoho Camp along Kamehameha Highway between Kaukonahua Road and Plantation Road, near Dole Pineapple Pavilion, Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Tax Map Key: (1) 7-1-001: 011,031, and 032
Activity Description: Provision of Economic Development Initiative funds for repairs to and improvement of water, electric and other utility systems, roads, walkways and other community systems, community spaces and other improvements within Poamoho Camp. Repair or replacement of the minimal street lighting system is identified as the intended use of the funds available, by Waipahu Jack Hall Memorial Housing Corp., intermediary for Poamoho Camp Community Association.
Total Estimated Cost: $248,000 Total Cost (EDI Grant: $248,000)
Census Tract: 91
FINDING OF NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT
The City and County of Honolulu has determined that the project will have no significant impact on the human environment. Therefore, an Environmental Impact Statement under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969 is not required.
The reasons for the decision not to prepare such statement are as follows:
1) The project will repair or replace infrastructure serving an existing community of former pineapple plantation workers. The funds are expected to be used for the repair or replacement of existing minimal street lights, to protect health and safety.
2) The proposed project will have no impact on wetlands resources as there are none in the area.
3) The proposed project will have no impact on fish and wildlife resources, vegetation, natural features and views. No federally protected, threatened, or endangered species of plants or animals are known to inhabit the project site.
4) According to the State Historic Preservation Officer (SHPO), there are no known archaeological sites or cultural resources or practices associated with the subject property. The proposed street lamps are acceptable to the SHPO and the SHPO has stated the proposed action will have no effect on historic properties.
5) Short-term increases in ambient noise levels generated by construction activities will be mitigated through compliance with Department of Health Administrative Rules on Vehicular Noise Control on Oahu (Title 11, Chapter 42) and Community Noise Control for Oahu (Title 11, Chapter 43).
6) No negative impacts on the environment were found related to airport clear zones, floodplain, environmental justice, or sole source aquifers.
7) No displacement of residents or businesses will occur as a result of this activity.
Additional project information is contained in the Environmental Review Record (ERR) for the above listed project at the City and County of Honolulu, Department of Community Services, 715 South King Street, Suite 311, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 and may be examined or copied, upon request, weekdays 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.
Any individual, group, or agency disagreeing with the City and County of Honolulus determination or wishing to comment on the project may submit written comments to Ms. Deborah Kim Morikawa, Director, Department of Community Services, 715 South King Street, Suite 311, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. All comments received by September 7, 2007 will be considered by the City and County of Honolulu prior to authorizing submission of a Request for Release of Funds. Commentors should specify which part of this Notice they are addressing.
RELEASE OF FUNDS
The City and County of Honolulu certifies to HUD that Mary Patricia Waterhouse in her capacity as Director of the Department of Budget and Fiscal Services of the City and County of Honolulu consents to accept the jurisdiction of the Federal Courts if an action is brought to enforce responsibilities in relation to the environmental review process and that these responsibilities have been satisfied. HUDs approval of the certification satisfies its responsibilities under NEPA and related laws and authorities, and allows the City and County of Honolulu to use Program funds.
OBJECTIONS TO RELEASE OF FUNDS
HUD will consider objections to its release of funds and the City and County of Honolulus certification for a period of fifteen (15) days following the anticipated submission date or its actual receipt of the request (whichever is later) only if they are on one of the following bases: (a) the certification was not executed by the Certifying Officer or other officer of the City and County of Honolulu approved by HUD; (b) the City and County of Honolulu has omitted a step or failed to make a decision or finding requiredby HUD regulations at 24 CFR Part 58; (c) the grant recipient or other participants in a project have committed funds, incurred costs, or undertaken activities not authorized by 24 CFR Part 58 before approval of a release of funds by HUD; or (d) another Federal agency acting pursuant to 40 CFR Part 1504 has submitted a written finding that the project is unsatisfactory from the standpoint of environmental quality. Objections must be prepared and submitted in accordance with the required procedures (24 CFR Part 58) and shall be addressed to Hawaii State Office, U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, at 500 Ala Moana Boulevard, Suite 3A, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813. Potential objectors should contact HUD to verify the actual last day of the objection period.
Mary Patricia Waterhouse
Director of Budget and Fiscal Services
BY ORDER OF
MUFI HANNEMANN, MAYOR
CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU (SB05531475 8/22/07)
COMBINED NOTICE OF FINDING OF NO SIGNIFICANT IMPACT