PUBLIC NOTICE OF
VARIANCE APPLICATION NO. WW 252
DOCKET NO. 07 – VWW – 10
Pursuant to H.R.S. §342D-7(i), Hawaii Revised Statutes, the State Department of Health (DOH) seeks written comments from interested persons regarding the following. Mr. Paul C. Hartsough of Monterey Blvd., San Francisco, California, owner of Seaview Terrace Apartments has applied for a five (5) year variance from Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), Section 11-62-31.1(b)(1) which states Whenever an individual wastewater system is allowed under subsection (a) the following shall apply: (1) The director may allow an individual wastewater system other than a cesspool to be used for two dwelling units which may or may not be located within the same building provided: (A) Both of the dwelling units are located on the same single family residential lot; and (B) The individual wastewater system used shall meet the current requirements of this chapter.
Mr. Stephen J. Herbert, Professional Engineer from Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, is the individual authorized to act for the applicant. The applicant proposing to convert the existing cesspool serving the Seaview Terrace Apartments to a seepage pit by installing a 1500 gallon septic tank upstream from the cesspool. The property is located at 77-298 Noelani Way, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, and is further identified as TMK (3) 7-7-015: 083. The apartment building is an existing five (5) unit building with each unit having one (1) bedroom.
The applicant has made the following comments.
1. More than two dwelling units are served by one wastewater system.
2. The existing large capacity cesspool(s) must be closed and replaced with a new treatment individual wastewater system by April 5, 2005 to comply with federal requirements.
3. The applicant believes this variance request is in the public interest because the LCC will be upgraded to an IWS (septic system). The IWS plans will be designed by an engineer and will be submitted to DOH for review and approval. The new IWS will provide a better wastewater treatment system compared to the existing LCC. Therefore minimized impact to the environment.
4. The existing LCC will be upgraded to an IWS (septic system). The IWS will provide a better treatment system prior to effluent disposal. The IWS will be designed and constructed to meet the Department of Health standards. The impact to the environment will be minimized compared to the current wastewater disposal.
5. The owner of the facility simply cannot afford to build and operate wastewater systems meeting all the requirements of HAR Chapter 11-62 such as small aerobic wastewater treatment plants.
6. The variance is requested for the maximum of five (5) years.
An individual wastewater system application information sheet and various other documents are attached to this application for variance but can not be shown here. If you would like to review the complete application, please call or write to the Wastewater Branch, 919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 309, Honolulu, Hawaii 96814-4920, telephone (808) 586-4294, fax (808) 586-4300 to obtain a facsimile. DOH will consider all written comments received within thirty days of this notice. If warranted, DOH may hold a public hearing on the variance application, after a separate thirty-day public notice. A final decision on the variance application will be made based on the application, related documents, written comments received and the public hearing, if any.
CHIYOME L. FUKINO, M.D.
Director of Health (SB05530454 6/30/07)