PUBLIC NOTICE OF
VARIANCE APPLICATION NO. WW 248
DOCKET NO. 07 – VWW – 06
Pursuant to H.R.S. §342D-7(i), Hawaii Revised Statutes, the State Department of Health (DOH) seeks written comments from interested persons regarding the following. Mr. Derek Fujikami, Hawaii Public Housing Authority, Honolulu, Oahu, has applied for a five (5) year variance from Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), Section 11-62-03 Definitions which states Individual wastewater system means a facility which is designed to receive and dispose of no more than 1000 gallons per day of domestic wastewater. Individual wastewater systems may involve treatment processes and include, but are not limited to, septic tanks and household aerobic units with disposal system and cesspools. Each individual wastewater system shall be an independent system and shall have all of its plumbing, treatment (if any), and disposal components separate from any other wastewater system.
Mr. Ronald Layaoen, Project Engineer for Okahara & Associates of Hilo, Hawaii is the individual authorized to act for the applicant. The applicant is requesting the variance to upgrade ten (10) cesspools by the addition of a septic tank and conversion of the cesspools into seepage pits for effluent disposal at the housing project located at HPHA 65-1189 & 65-1191 Opelo Road, Kamuela, Hawaii, and further identified as TMK: (3) 6-5-009: 025 & 026.
The applicant has made the following comments:
1. The project involves the upgrading of existing cesspools serving the facility. Each of the 8 proposed IWS would receive more than 1000 gpd of wastewater. Estimated wastewater flows ranging between 1600 gpd and 4800 gpd will be subject to treatment by septic tanks prior to disposal via seepage pits.
2. The existing large capacity cesspool(s) must be closed and replaced with a new treatment individual wastewater system by April 5, 2005 to comply with federal requirements.
3. The facility has been in operation for 25 years in this location using the existing cesspool. The installation of a wastewater treatment plant in lieu of a septic system will not be possible due to space restrictions and may force the owner to abandon the business operation.
4. The applicant believes this variance request is in the public interest because the LCC will be upgraded to an IWS (septic system). The IWS plans will be designed by an engineer and will be submitted to DOH for review and approval. The new IWS will provide a better wastewater treatment system compared to the existing LCC. Therefore minimizes impact to the environment.
5. The existing LCC will be upgraded to an IWS (septic system). The IWS will provide a better treatment system prior to effluent disposal. The IWS will be designed and constructed to meet the Department of Health standards. The impact to the environment will be minimized compared to the current wastewater disposal.
6. The proposed treatment individual wastewater systems will provide greater protection than the large capacity cesspools. The proposed IWS is an improvement to the existing cesspool in terms of wastewater treatment. The septic tank will provide pretreatment and sludge removal prior to effluent disposal.
7. The existing location of the facility is severely restrictive. There is simply no space to construct a wastewater treatment plant.
The variance is requested for the maximum of five (5) years.
Attachments and plot maps are attached to this application for variance but can not be shown here. If you would like to review the complete application, please call or write to the Wastewater Branch, 919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 309, Honolulu, Hawaii 96814-4920, telephone (808) 586-4294 or fax (808)586-4300 to obtain a facsimile. DOH will consider all written comments received within thirty days of this notice. If warranted, DOH may hold a public hearing on the variance application
Chiyome Leinaala Fukino, M.D.
Director of Health (SB05529337 5/9/07)