REQUEST FOR PUBLIC COMMENTS
ON DRAFT AIR PERMITS
REGULATING THE EMISSIONS OF AIR POLLUTANTS
(Docket No. 06-CA-PA-10)
Pursuant to Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS), Chapter 342B-13 and Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), Chapter 11-60.1, the Department of Health, State of Hawaii (DOH), is requesting public comments on the following DRAFT PERMITS presently under review for:
(1) Temporary Covered Source Permit (CSP) No. 0622-01-CT
Application for Initial Permit No. 0622-01
Hawaiian Dredging Construction Company
400 TPH Mobile Crushing and Screening Plant
Located at: Various Temporary Sites, State of Hawaii
Initial Location: Honokohau Harbor, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
(2) Temporary Covered Source Permit (CSP) No. 0010-01-CT
Application for Renewal/Modification No. 0010-11
Jas. W. Glover, Ltd.
Two (2) Asphalt Concrete Plants and Two (2) Stone Processing Plants
Located at: 890 Leilani Street, Hilo, Hawaii
Initial Location of the 660 tph Stone Processing Plant: TMK 4-2-9-3:4,
Mahaulepu Quarry, Kauai
(3) Covered Source Permit (CSP) No. 0239-01-C
Application for Renewal No. 0239-02
Hawaiian Electric Company, Inc. (HECO)
Waiau Generating Station
Six (6) Boilers and Two (2) Combustion Turbines
Located at: Pearl City, Oahu
The DRAFT PERMITS are described as follows:
(1) Temporary CSP No. 0622-01-CT will grant conditional approval for operating a 400 TPH mobile crushing plant with diesel engine at various temporary sites. The plant is equipped with a water spray system to control fugitive dust. A water truck is proposed for additional fugitive dust control at each of the plants temporary work sites. The crushing and screening plant is subject to 40 Code of Federal Regulations, Subpart OOO, Standards of Performance for Nonmetallic Mineral Processing Plants. The plant is limited to 2,500 hours per year operation.
(2) The renewal/modification of CSP No. 0010-01-CT will grant conditional approval to add diesel engine generators (DEGs) and limit the operating hours of the asphalt concrete plants in order to be a non-major source. The added DEGs will operate if HELCO power is not available. New Source Performance Standard (NSPS), Subpart I – Standards of Performance for Hot Mix Asphalt Facilities and Subpart OOO – Standards of Performance for Nonmetallic Mineral Processing Plants are still applicable. The increase in emissions from the DEGs are shown below and are below significant levels. If approved, this draft permit will supersede the current operating permit in its entirety.
1,085 HP DEG 620 HP DEG Total Significant
Pollutant (tpy) (tpy) (tpy) (tpy)
SO2 3.00 1.66 4.66 40
NOX 15.07 12.11 27.18 40
CO 0.96 1.18 2.14 100
PM 0.24 0.19 0.43 25
PM10 0.24 0.19 0.43 15
VOC 0.36 0.23 0.59 40
HAPs 0.01 0.01 0.02 n/a
(3) The renewal of CSP No. 0239-01-C will grant conditional approval to HECO to continue operating six (6) boilers and two (2) combustion turbines for power generation. If approved, this draft permit will supersede the current operating permit in its entirety.
The ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS, consisting of the APPLICATIONS and non-confidential supporting materials from the applicant, the permit review summaries, and the DRAFT PERMITS, are available for public inspection during regular office hours, Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., at the following locations:
Clean Air Branch, Department of Health
919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 203, Honolulu, Oahu 96814
Hawaii (CSP Nos. 0622-01-CT and 0010-01-CT only):
Hawaii District Health Office, Department of Health,
1582 Kamehameha Avenue, Hilo, Hawaii
Sanitation Branch, Keakealani Building, Department of Health,
79-1020 Haukapila Street, Room 115, Kealakekua, Hawaii
Kauai (CSP 0010-01-CT only):
Kauai District Health Office, Department of Health,
3040 Umi Street, Lihue, Kauai
All comments on the draft permits and any request for a public hearing must be in writing, addressed to the Clean Air Branch at the above address on Oahu and must be postmarked or received by July 21, 2006.
Any person may request a public hearing by submitting a written request that explains the party\u2019s interest and the reasons why a hearing is warranted. At the sole discretion of the Director of Health, DOH may hold a public hearing if a hearing would aid in DOHs decision. If a public hearing is warranted, a public notice for the hearing will be published at least thirty days in advance of the hearing.
Interested persons may obtain copies of the administrative record or parts thereof by paying five cents per page copying costs. Please send written requests to the Oahu office of the CIean Air Branch listed above or call Mr. Michael Madsen (for CSP No. 0622-01-CT) or Mr. Corey Shibata (for CSP Nos. 0010-01-CT and 0239-01-C) at the Clean Air Branch in Honolulu at (808) 586-4200.
Comments on the draft permits should address, but need not be limited to, the permit conditions and the facilitys compliance with federal and state air pollution laws, including: (1) the National and State Ambient Air Quality Standards; and (2) HRS, Chapter 342B and HAR, Chapter 11-60.1.
DOH will make a final decision on the permits after considering all comments and will send notice of the final decision to each person who has submitted comments or requested such notice.
Chiyome Leinaala Fukino, M.D.
(SB05523440 6/21/05) Director of Health
REQUEST FOR PUBLIC COMMENTS