PUBLIC NOTICE OF
VARIANCE APPLICATION NO. WW 235
DOCKET NO. 06-VWW-24
Pursuant to section 342D-7(i), Hawaii Revised Statutes, the State Department of Health (DOH) seeks written comments from interested persons regarding the following.
Mr. Peter Kaufman of Haleiwa, Oahu, has applied for a five (5) year variance from Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) Section 11-62-31.1(a)(1)(A) which states, For residential developments. There shall be 10,000 square feet of land area for each individual wastewater system.
Mr. Michael McNulty of McNulty Civil Engineering, is the individual authorized to act for the applicant. The applicant is requesting to use an individual wastewater system for an eight (8) unit apartment located at 66-627 Kamehameha Highway, Haleiwa, Oahu, Hawaii, and identified as TMK: (1) 6-6-018:048. The property is 18,840 square feet in size.
The applicant has made the following comments.
1. The area of the lot is 18,840 square feet. This is in sufficient to meet the minimum land area require- ments for IWS utilization which is one IWS per 10,000 square feet of lot area.
2. The existing large capacity cesspool(s) must be closed and replaced with a new treatment individu- al wastewater system by April 5, 2005 to comply with federal requirements.
3. The applicant believes this variance request is in the public interest because the LCC will be upgrad- ed to an IWS (septic system). The IWS plans will be designed by an engineer and will be submitted to DOH for review and approval. The new IWS will pro- vide a better wastewater treatment system com- pared to the existing LCC. Therefore minimizes
impact to the environment.
4. The existing LCC will be upgraded to an IWS (septic system). The IWS will provide a better treatment
system prior to effluent disposal. The IWS will be de signed and constructed to meet the Department of Health standards. The impact to the environment will be minimized compared to the current waste-
5. The proposed treatment individual wastewater
systems will provide greater protection than the large capacity cesspools. The proposed IWS is an improvement to the existing cesspool in terms of wastewater treatment. The septic tank will provide pretreatment and sludge removal prior to effluent disposal.
6. The owner of the facility simply cannot afford to build and operate wastewater systems meeting all the requirements of HAR Chapter 11-62 such as small aerobic wastewater treatment plants.
7. The variance is requested for the maximum of five (5) years.
If you would like to review the complete application, please call or write to the Wastewater Branch, 919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 309, Honolulu, Hawaii 96814-4920, telephone (808) 586-4294, fax (808) 586-4300 to obtain a facsimile. DOH will consider all written comments received within thirty days of this notice. If warranted, DOH may hold a public hearing on the variance application, after separate related documents, written comments and the public hearing, if any.
CHIYOME LEINAALA FUKINO, M.D.
Director of Health (SB03510447 11/21/06)