PUBLIC NOTICE OF
VARIANCE APPLICATION NO. WW 233
DOCKET NO. 06 – VWW – 22
Pursuant to H.R.S. §342D-7(i), Hawaii Revised Statutes, the State Department of Health (DOH) seeks written comments from interested persons regarding the following. The Directorate of Public Words, Wheeler Army Airfield, U.S. Army Garrison, Hawaii, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, has applied for a variance for a five (5) year variance from Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), Section 11-62-03 Definitions which states Individual wastewater system means a facility which is designed to receive and dispose of no more than 1000 gallons per day of domestic wastewater. Individual wastewater systems may involve treatment processes and include, but are not limited to, septic tanks and household aerobic unites with disposal system and cesspools. Each individual wastewater system shall be an independent system and shall have all of its plumbing, treatment (if any), and disposal components separate from any other wastewater system.
Mr. Valentin E. Bueno, Design Engineer from Parsons, Brinckerhoff, Quade & Douglas, Inc, Honolulu, Hawaii is the individual authorized to act for the applicant. The applicant has stated that there are existing buildings at the Kilauea Military Camp (KMP) facility serviced by several large capacity cesspools. The large capacity cesspools must be taken out of service and replaced with onsite wastewater systems. These onsite wastewater systems would be treating more than the maximum 1000 gpd allowed. The subject project is recreation facility – rental units, located at Crater Rim Road, Hawaii National Park, Hawaii and identified as TMK: (3) 9-9-001:001.
The applicant has made the following comments.
1. The large capacity septic system proposed to serve the facility would not comply with HAR, Section 11-62-03 because the IWS would
receive more than 1,000 gallons pre day of wastewater. The estimated flow into the system would be see Attachment B gallons per day.
2. The existing large capacity cesspool(s) must be closed and replaced with a new treatment
individual wastewater system by April 5, 2005 to comply with federal requirements.
3. The applicant believes this variance request is in the public interest because the LCC will be upgraded to an IWS (septic system). The IWS plans will be designed by an engineer and will be submitted to DOH for review and approval. The new IWS will provide a better wastewater treatment system compared to the exiting LCC. Therefore minimizes impact to the environment.
4. The proposed treatment individual wastewater systems will provide greater protection than the large capacity cesspools. The proposed IWS is an improvement to the existing cesspool in terms of wastewater treatment. The septic tank will provide pretreatment and sludge removal prior to effluent disposal.
5. The existing location of the facility is severely
restrictive. There is simply no space to construct a wastewater treatment plant.
6. The variance is requested for the maximum of five (5) years.
Plot maps have been attached to this application for variance but can not be shown here. If you would like to review the complete application, please call or write to the Wastewater Branch, 919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 309, Honolulu, Hawaii 96814-4920, telephone (808) 586-4294 fax (808) 586-4300 to obtain a facsimile. DOH will consider all written comments received within thirty days of this notice. If warranted, documents, written comments and the public hearing, if any.
CHIYOME LEINAALA FUKINO, M.D.
Director of Health (SB03510348 11/7/06)