PUBLIC NOTICE OF
VARIANCE APPLICATION NO. W W 226
DOCKET NO. 06 – V W W – 15
Pursuant to H.R.S. §342D-7(i), Hawaii Revised Statutes, the State Department of Health (DOH) seeks written comments from interested persons regarding the following. Lisa S. Sakanashi of Hilo, Hawaii has applied for a one (1) year variance from Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), Section 11-62-31.1 (a) (1) (A) which states that For residential developments. There shall be 10,000 square feet of land area for each individual wastewater system.
Mr. Dennis Inouye of Septic Designs is the individual authorized to act for the applicant. The applicant is proposing to use a septic system to service a proposed two (2) bedroom dwelling. the subject property has an existing three (3) bedroom dwelling with an existing cesspool. Due to the topography of the property and the location of the existing cesspool, modifying the cesspool is not a viable option. Therefore, the applicant is requesting a second individual wastewater system (IWS) to be constructed on the property. The subject property is 18,774 square feet in size and is located at 17-520 Akaakai Street, Keaau, Hawaii, TMK: (3) 1-7-026:016.
The applicant has made the following comments. LCC comments:
1. The area of the lot is 18,774 square feet. This is insufficient to meet the minimum land area requirements for IWS utilization which is one IWS per 10,000 square feet of lot area.
2. Proposed is another IWS to be constructed on this 18,774 square foot lot. The existing topography prohibits an economical upgrade to the present cesspool to accommodate two (2) dwellings.
3. The subject property allows two (2) dwellings with a combined total of five (5) bedrooms serviced with one (1) septic system. Due to the topography, this request is to construct a 2nd IWS for a proposed two (2) bedroom dwelling. This 2nd dwelling aids in todays housing shortage.
4. The existing dwelling has an approved IWS. The proposed 2nd dwelling shall comply with the correct IWS requirements.
5. The variance is requested for the minimum of one (1) year.
A plot map has been attached to this application for variance but can not be shown here. If you would like to review the full application, please call or write to the Wastewater Branch, 919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 309, Honolulu, Hawaii 96814-4920, telephone (808) 586-4294 or fax (808) 586-4300 to obtain a copy or facsimile.
DOH will consider all written comments received within thirty (30) days of this notice. If warranted, DOH may hold a public hearing on the variance application, after a separate thirty-day public notice. The final decision will be made on the basis of the application, related documents, written comments and the public hearing, if any.
CHIYOME L. FUKINO, M.D.
Director of Health (SB03510036 8/28/06)