PUBLIC NOTICE OF
VARIANCE APPLICATION NO. W W 224
DOCKET NO. 06 – V W W – 13
Pursuant to §342D-7(i), Hawaii Revised Statutes, the State Department of Health (DOH) seeks written comments from interested persons regarding the following. Mr. Derek Fujikami of the Hawaii Public Housing Authority HPHA, 1002 North School Street, Honolulu, Oahu has applied for a five (5) year variance from the following sections of Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), Chapter 11-62, Section 11-62-03 Definitions which states Individual wastewater system means a facility which is designed to receive and dispose of no more than 1000 gallons per day of domestic wastewater. Individual wastewater systems may involve treatment processes and include, but are not limited to, septic tanks and household aerobic units with disposal system and cesspools. Each individual wastewater system shall be an independent system and shall have all of its plumbing, treatment (if any), and disposal components separate from any other wastewater system., Section 11-62-31.1(a)(2)(D) which states the total wastewater flow into each individual wastewater system shall not exceed 1,000 gallons per day.; Section 11-62-31.1(h) which states Each individual wastewater system shall be an independent system and shall have all of its plumbing, treatment (if any), and disposal components separate from any other wastewater system system.; and Section 11-62-31.1(a)(1)(D) which states The total wastewater flow into one individual wastewater system shall not exceed one thousand gallons, and one individual wastewater system shall not serve more than five bedrooms, whether they are in one dwelling unit or two.
Mr. Ronald Layaoen, Project Engineer, Okahara & Associates, Inc., 200 Kohola Street, Hilo, Hawaii is the individual authorized to act for the applicant. The applicant has stated that the estimated wastewater flows to the proposed individual wastewater systems exceed 1,000 gallons per day and more than two dwelling units are connected to each of the wastewater systems. The wastewater is generated from the Pahala Elderly Housing located at 96-1169 Kou Street, Pahala, Kau, Hawaii, TMK: (3) 9-6-017:037. The proposed septic system will utilize existing cesspools as a seepage pits for effluent disposal. The cesspools currently serve 24 dwelling units, a community center and laundry area.
The applicant has made the following comments:
1. The large capacity septic system proposed to serve the facility would not comply with HAR, Section 11-62-03 because the IWS would receive more than 1,000
gallons per day of wastewater. The estimated flow into the system would be 1,125 gallons per day.
2. The facility has been in operation for 36 years in this location using the existing cesspool. The installation of a wastewater treatment plant in lieu of a septic
system will not be possible due to space restrictions and may force the owner to abandon the business operation.
3. The applicant believes this variance request is in the public interest because the LCC will be upgraded to an IWS (septic system). The IWS plans will be designed by an engineer and will be submitted to DOH for review and approval. The new IWS will provide a better wastewater treatment system compared to the existing LCC. Therefore minimizes impact to the environment.
4. The existing LCC will be upgraded to an IWS (septic system). The IWS will provide a better treatment system prior to effluent disposal. The IWS will be designed and constructed to meet the Department of Health standards. The impact to the environment will be minimized compared to the current wastewater disposal.
5. The proposal treatment individual wastewater systems will provide greater protec- tion than the large capacity cesspools. The proposed IWS is an improvement to the existing cesspool in terms of wastewater treatment. The septic tank will
provide pretreatment and sludge removal prior to effluent disposal.
6. The existing location of the facility is severely restrictive. There is simply no space to construct a wastewater treatment plant.
7. The variance is requested for the maximum of five (5) years.
Plot maps have been attached to this application for variance but can not be shown here. If you would like to review the full submitted application, please call or write to the Wastewater Branch, 919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 309, Honolulu, Hawaii 96814-4920, telephone (808) 586-4294 or fax (808)586-4300 to obtain a copy or facsimile.
DOH will consider all written comments received within thirty days of this notice. If warranted, DOH may hold a public hearing on the variance application, after a separate thirty-day public notice. The final decision will be made on the basis of the application, related documents, written comments and the public hearing, if any.
CHIYOME L. FUKINO, M.D.
Director of Health (SB03509948 8/12/06)