PUBLIC NOTICE OF
VARIANCE APPLICATION NO. W W 218
DOCKET NO. 06 – V W W – 07
Pursuant to H.R.S. §342D-7(i), Hawaii Revised Statutes, the State Department of Health (DOH) seeks written comments from interested persons regarding the following, Mr. Reynald Aurelio of Honokaa, Hawaii, has applied for a five (5) year variance from Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR), Section 11-62-31.1(a)(1)(C) pertaining to minimum lot area needed for each individual wastewater system.
The applicant is requesting the use of a septic tank system for a proposed three (3) bedroom dwelling located at 45-3175 Ohia Street, Honokaa, Hawaii and identified as TMK: (3) 4-5-020:002. The property already has a three (3) bedroom dwelling on which is served by a cesspool. The lot is only 17,387 square feet in area.
The applicant has made the following comments.
1. There is an existing cesspool for the existing three (3) bedroom residence. The proposal is to use a septic system for the three (3) bedroom ohana residence.
2. The lot size is 17,387 square feet.
3. The lot size is fixed.
4. There will be no hard to the public interest and it allows the permitted use of an ohana dwelling.
5. The area requirement is only slightly above the actual area available. there is adequate land for two (2) systems.
6. Compliance can not be met as the land owner would have to forego ohana residence construction required for his expanded family.
7. It is requested for five (5) years with automatic renewal for the life of the construction.
A plot map has been attached to this application for variance but can not be shown here. If you would like to review the full application, please call or write to the Wastewater Branch, 919 Ala Moana Boulevard, Room 309, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96814-4920, telephone (808) 586-4294 or fax (808) 5864300 to obtain a copy or facsimile.
DOH will consider all written comments received within thirty days of this notice. If warranted, DOH may hold a public hearing on the variance application, after a separate thirty-day written comments and the public hearing, if any.
CHIYOME L. FUKINO, M.D.
Director of Health (SB03509814 7/19/06)