More government information at

Notice #: 0000995526-01
Public Notices


NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN of the hearing to be held in the County of Kauai by the Land Use Commission of the State of Hawaii to consider a petition for change of district boundaries as provided for in Section 205-4 and Section 201H-38, Hawaii Revised Statutes, as amended:

June 28, 2017, 9:30 a.m.
June 29, 2017, 8:30 a.m.
Moikeha Building
Conference Room 2A/2B
4444 Rice Street
Lihue, Hawaii 96766



County of Kauai, Housing Agency
4444 Rice Street, Suite 330
Lihue, Hawaii 96766

TAX MAP KEY NO.: (4) 2-1-001:054

CHANGE REQUESTED: To reclassify approximately 75 acres of land situated at Eleele, Island and County of Kauai, State of Hawaii, to allow for a residential development on the property and to utilize the density for up to 550 residential units (single-family and multi-family). All units will be affordable as defined by Chapter 7A of the Kauai County Code, and offered for sale or rent to households who earn no more than 140% of the Kauai median household income. The proposed project is also anticipated to include a community park, a water storage tank, bike and pedestrian paths, and landscaped areas. Petitioner isusing the property for the Lima Ola Workforce Development project (“Lima Ola”). Because all units will be affordable, Lima Ola qualifies as an affordable housing project under Section 201H-38, Hawaii Revised Statutes, as amended. Petitioner has sought exemptions from State and County land use regulations and is proceeding under the fast tracking procedures provided under HRS §201H-38.
Maps showing the proposed district boundaries and copies of the Hawaii Land Use Commission Rules governing the above petition may be inspected at the offices of the Kauai County Planning Department, 4444 Rice Street, #473, Lihue, Hawaii 96766 during office hours from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (except legal holidays) and at the offices of the State Land Use Commission, 235 South Beretania Street, Room 406, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813 during office hours from 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except legal holidays).
All persons who have some property interest in the land, who lawfully reside on the land, or who otherwise can demonstrate that they will be so directly and immediately affected by the proposed change that their interest in the proceeding is clearly distinguishable from that of the general public shall be admitted as parties upon timely application for intervention.
All other persons may apply to the Commission for leave to intervene as parties. Leave to intervene shall be freely granted, provided that the Commission or its hearings officer, if one is appointed, may deny an application to intervene when in the Commission’s or hearings officer’s sound discretion it appears that: (1) the position of the applicant for intervention concerning the proposed change is substantially the same as the position of a party already admitted to the proceeding, and (2) the admission of additional parties will render the proceedings inefficient and unmanageable. A person whose application to intervene is denied may appeal such denial pursuant to Section 9114, Hawaii Revised Statutes.
Petitions to intervene were due fifteen (15) days after the publication of the Notice of Intent to File a Land Use District Boundary Petition, pursuant to Sections 15-15-97(b)(3) and 15-15-97(e) of the Hawaii Land Use Commission Rules.
All persons or individuals wishing to present testimony, orally or in writing, are requested to notify the Commission prior to the commencement of the hearing. Together with other witnesses that the Commission may desire to hear at the hearing, a representative of a citizen or a community group wishing to express the views of such citizen or community group concerning the proposed boundary amendment, is requested to notify the Commission prior to the commencement of the hearing and may be requested to submit written evidence of authorization to represent the citizen or community group. It is suggested that such notification be submitted to the Commission by June 21, 2017.
Any party to the proceeding may be represented by legal counsel. An individual may appear on the individual’s own behalf, or a member of a partnership may represent the partnership, or an officer or authorized employee of a corporation, trust, or other legal entity may represent the corporation, trust, or other legal entity.
For persons requesting special accommodations due to disabilities, please contact the State Land Use Commission at 587-3822 or notify the State Land Use Commission in writing at P.O. Box 2359, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96804-2359, at least 10 days before the scheduled meeting.
Edmund Aczon, Chair
By Daniel E. Orodenker, Executive Officer
(SA995526 5/27/17)~