NOTICE TO ATTORNEYS INTERESTED IN PROVIDING LEGAL SERVICES TO THE DEPARTMENT OF LAND AND NATURAL RESOURCES
AS A HEARING OFFICER IN THE POTENTIAL CONTESTED CASE
RE CONSENT TO SUBLEASE OF LAND FOR THE THIRTY METER TELESCOPE PROJECT AT THE MAUNA KEA SCIENCE RESERVE
(Pursuant to §103D-304, HRS)
The Department of Land and Natural Resources seeks qualified applicants to provide professional legal services as a hearing officer in the event it is decided to hold a contested case hearing and use a hearing officer with respect to a request for consent to sublease of land for the Thirty Meter Telescope project at the Mauna Kea Science Reserve, Kaohe Mauka, Hamakua District, Island of Hawaii, TMK (3) 4-4-015:009. The decisions have not yet been made to conduct the contested case or to use a hearing officer. This solicitation is made for the purpose of identifying qualified candidates if and as necessary.
An applicant must possess the following basic qualifications:
1) Being an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of Hawaii and in good standing;
2) Being able to serve with strict impartiality and no conflicts of interest or appearance of conflict;
3) Being available to devote a substantial amount of time in the next six to twelve months;
4) Willing to accept the prevailing charge rate relevant to the professional service as a hearing officer, as determined by the Department; and
5) Providing a tax clearance certificate, a labor certificate, and a certificate of good standing as required in HRS §103D-310(c) and HAR §3-122-112, which may be processed via an online system known as the “Hawaii Compliance Express”.
Other desirable qualifications include civil litigation experience, practice in administrative law and process, familiarity with government proceedings and procedures, and knowledge of the Hawaii Revised Statutes and Hawaii Administrative Rules administered by the Department.
Qualified parties interested in being considered for selection are invited to submit a letter of interest with a curriculum vitae or resume to:
Department of Land and Natural Resources
Attn: Administrative Proceedings Office
1151 Punchbowl Street, Room 130
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
Facsimile: (808) 587-0390
Applicants from the same company or law firm must submit separate applications to the Department. Applications may be submitted by mail, facsimile or electronic mail. The Department will not be responsible for lost or misdirected mails.
All submittals must be received by the Department or postmarked by Friday, March 10, 2017, 4:30 p.m. to be considered.
/s/SUZANNE D. CASE, Chairperson
Board of Land and Natural Resources
(SA965343 2/24, 2/25, 2/26/17)~