NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Pursuant to Sections 91-2 and 92-41, the Hawaii Public Housing Authority (HPHA), Department of Human Services, hereby provides notice that it will hold public hearings to consider the proposed repeal of Chapter 15-184, “Rent Supplement Program,” Hawaii Administrative Rules, and proposed adoption of Chapter 17-2033, “Rent Supplement Program,” Hawaii Administrative Rules.
Background: Due to the changes in title number and department to which HPHA is administratively attached, and other extensive changes to Chapter 15-184, HAR, HPHA proposes to repeal Chapter 15-184, HAR, and adopt Chapter 17-2033, HAR, in its place. The differences between the Chapters are:
1) A change in title numbers from Title 15 to Title 17, HAR, changing subtitle numbers from Subtitle 14. HAR, to Subtitle 5, HAR, and changing chapter numbers from Chapter 184, HAR, to Chapter 2033, HAR;
2) Changing the state department to which the HPHA is administratively attached, from “Department of Business and Economic Development,” to “Department of Human Services,” and replacing references to “Housing and Community Development Corporation of Hawaii” with the “Hawaii Public Housing Authority,” to accurately reflect the current titles of the agency, and replace references to Chapter 201G, HRS with Chapter 365D, HRS;
3) Revising and adding definitions, including “applicant,” “criminal activity,” “drug,” “violent criminal activity,” “elderly,” “foster children,” “gender identity or expression,” “security deposit,” “staff,” and “U.S.C.,” to old Section 15-184-2, HAR, to read as new section 17-2033-2;
4) Clarifying the definition for “very low income,” under old Section 15-184-2, HAR to read as new Section 17-2033-2, HAR, and replace exhibit A with reference to the specific resource under old Section 15-184-3, HAR, to read as new Section 17-2033-3;
5) Require a social security number or certification of not having one, evidence of citizenship or eligible immigrant status for each household member for application, verification, eligibility in various sections in order to properly and consistently document program applicant eligibility;
6) Include a waiting list for applicants by adding a new subsection in old Section 15-184-11, to read as new Section 17-2033-11(b), and creating a new Section 17-2033-22;
7) Clarifying that an eligible participant may not own, in whole or a majority, interest in a dwelling unit in the state of Hawaii, under old Section 15-184-13(5), to read as new Section 17-2033-13(5);
8) Provide a minimum of $25 and a maximum of $500 for a monthly rent supplement payment under old Sections 15-184-13(7) and 15-184-21(21) to read as new Sections 17-2033-13(7) and 17-2033-31;
9) Clarifying that an applicant must have their primary place of residence in Hawaii and not merely an intent to make Hawaii their residence, under old Section 15-184-13(9) to read as new Section 17-2033-13(9);
10) Requiring for purposes of eligibility that an applicant not engage in or threaten abusive or violent behavior or cause any harm to damage to the HPHA, by adding new subsections to old Section 15-184-13, to read as new Section 17-2033-13(16) and (17);
11) Moving old Sections 15-184-14 through 15-184-17, HAR, with minor changes to new Subchapter 3 of Chapter 17-2033, HAR;
12) Include provisions for nondiscrimination compliance, under new Section 17-2033-21;
13) Specifying that reexamination of participant eligibility shall be performed either in-person or via mail, by adding a new subsection under old Section 15-184-23 to read as new Section 17-2033-33(f);
14) Make other technical, non-substantive changes to Chapter 15-184, HAR, which are reflected in proposed new Chapter 17-2033, HAR, for clarity, consistency, and style.
Public Review: The proposed changes are available for public viewing at the HPHA and site management offices at the following locations between 7:45 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.:
Hawaii Public Housing Authority Lanakila Homes
1002 North School Street, Bldg. E 600 Wailoa Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817 Hilo, Hawaii 96720
Ka Hale Kahaluu Kahekili Terrace
78-6725 Makolea Street 2015 Holowai Place
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740 Wailuku, Hawaii 96793
Kapaa Also available on the HPHA website at:
4726 Malu Road www.hpha.hawaii.gov/referenceinformation/admin_rule.htm
Kapaa, Hawaii 96746
Public Hearings: Public hearings will be held at the following locations
on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 6:00 p.m.:
Hawaii Public Housing Authority (HPHA) Kealakehe Housing Project
1002 No. School Street, Bldg. “E” Resident Association Meeting Room
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817 74-991 Manawalea St. #A101
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740
Lanakila Homes Conference Room Kapaa Community Hall
600 Wailoa Street 4726 Malu Road
Hilo, Hawaii 96720 Kapaa, Hawaii 96746
Kahekili Terrace Office/Community Hall
2015 Holowai Place
Wailuku, Hawaii 96793
All interested persons are invited to provide comments relating to the proposed Rent Supplement Program changes, either orally or in writing.
Oral comments should be presented at the public hearing. All oral and written testimony presented at the public hearing will be considered in preparing the amendments to Chapter 15-184 and Chapter 17-2033. Persons who cannot attend the hearing and prefer not to provide written comments may phone (808) 832-4693 and leave their comments as a voicemail message.
Written comments may be presented to the presiding officer at the public hearing, or mailed to the Hawaii Public Housing Authority, Attention: PHA Plan, at 1002 North School Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96817. Written comments may also be faxed to (808) 832-4679, or sent by electronic mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Written comments not presented at the public hearing should be received at HPHA office in Honolulu by 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, November 30, 2016.
Any person requiring assistance to participate, such as large print, taped materials, interpreters for sign language or limited English proficiency, etc., should make a request to HPHA at least ten working days prior to the public hearings in order to allow time to make arrangements. Requests can be made by writing to HPHA at the address above or by calling (808) 832-4693.
Hawaii Public Housing Authority
Department of Human Services
HPHA does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, disability, familial status, ancestry, age, marital status, or HIV infection.