PUBLIC NOTICE OF
VARIANCE APPLICATION NO. WW 403
DOCKET NO. 14 – VWW – 22
Pursuant to Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS) Section 342D-7(i), the State Department of Health (DOH) seeks written comments from interested persons regarding the following. Mr. Stewart Matsunaga, Department of Hawaiian Home Lands (DHHL), has applied for a variance for the maximum of five (5) years as stated in the variance application from Hawaii Administrative Rules (HAR) section 11-62-31.1 (a)(1 )(B).
Mr. Richard Santo, Community Planning & Engineering, Inc., is the individual authorized to act for the applicant. The project is the Keokea Farm Lots, Off Kula Highway, Kula, Maui 96790, TMK (2) 2-2-002: 014, 055 & 071, 13,000 (min) square feet.
The applicant has made the following comments.
1. The subdivision site will include 85 agricultural lots of minimum 2 acres, 420 residential 20,000 square foot minimumlots, two large Parcel 14 remainder lots, three Parcel 55 remainder lots, and four historic preserve lots, as well as proposed 40- and 50- foot roadways.
2. The homesteader will be responsible for developing their individual lot.
3. Building an on-site collection system and a sewerage treatment plant would be very cost prohibitive and would result in economic hardship to DHHL, as well as the homesteaders.
4. We request a variance extension for the maximum period allowed (5 years).
5. There are no plans for the County of Maui to provide a public system in the area.
Additional information has been attached to this application but can not be shown here. If you would like to review the complete application, please visit the Wastewater Branch at 919 Ala Moana Blvd., Rm 309, Hon., HI 96814-4929 or call us at (808) 586-4294. DOH will consider all written comments received within 30 days of this notice. If warranted, DOH may hold a public hearing on the application, after receipt of related documents and written comments, if any.
Acting Director of Health