STATE OF HAWAII
DEPARTMENT OF THE ATTORNEY GENERAL
CHILD SUPPORT ENFORCEMENT AGENCY
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
Pursuant to sections 91-3 and 92-41, Hawaii Revised Statutes, this is notice that the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) will hold public hearing(s) to consider amending the Agency’s rules.
The proposed amendments are based on Federal & State laws. Brief descriptions of the proposed amendments are listed below:
This chapter is being amended for the following purposes:
1. Housekeeping to correct federal citations and altering some rules to comply with federal requirements and for clarity.
2. Clarifying who can receive services for what purpose and fees.
3. Adding and clarifying enforcement methods and the right to a review or hearing.
4. Clarifying when no application is necessary and procedures for handling issues of family violence in cases referred by DHS.
5. Providing the agency discretion to open a file and listing the information it may require.
6. Allowing the agency to provide orientation sessions to the public.
7. Allowing locates for either parent.
8. Clarifying when and how paternity will be initiated, parties rights and handling of test costs
9. Clarifying procedures for establishing and modifying orders and collecting via income assignment.
10. Clarifying procedures regarding payments.
11. Clarifying procedures regarding maintenance of records.
12. Creating a disbursement unit and procedures for handling checks.
13. Scheduling enforcement hearings and conducting reviews.
14. Allowing electronic case records.
15. Establishing criteria for case closure and responding to interstate cases.
16. Maintaining an interstate registry and providing interstate cases with services.
17. Creating monetary fines and the right to appeal them.
Oahu Public Hearing
Date: November 26, 2013
Time: 10:00 a.m.
Place: 601 Kamokila Boulevard, RM 111A/111B
Hilo, Kauai and Maui Public Hearing
Date: November 27, 2013
Time: 10: a.m.
Place: Waiakea Kai Shopping Plaza
88 Kanoelehua Avenue, Room 202
4180 Rice Street, Suite 104
35 Lunalilo Street, Suite 201
All interested parties are invited to attend and state their views relative to the proposed rules either orally or in writing. Those wishing to present oral testimony from the neighbor islands are invited to participate telephonically on November 27, 2013 at 10: a.m. from the Hilo, Kauai or Maui offices listed above.
Written testimony can be presented by providing three (3) copies to: CSEA, Assistant Administrator – Policy, 601 Kamokila Boulevard, Suite 207, Kapolei, Hawaii 96707, no later than five (5) days prior to the hearing. For oral testimony, CSEA requests a written copy of oral testimony be submitted no later than the date of the hearing (not mandatory).
A copy of the proposed amendments is available for public viewing from Monday through Friday exclusive of State holidays, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., at CSEA offices listed above and at:
601 Kamokila Boulevard, Suite 207
Copies will be provided on request via mail after prepayment of costs and postage. Contact 808-586-5432. Proposed rules are also available for viewing via the internet on the Lieutenant Governor’s web site – www.ltgov.hawaii.gov/the-office and www.ag.hawaii.gov
Special accommodation (i.e. interpreter, large print or taped materials) will be arranged, if requested no later than ten (10) working days before the scheduled public hearing. To request special accommodations call 808-586-5439.