NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
The Department of Land and Natural Resources, Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DLNR, DOFAW), is authorized to manage and regulate public lands set apart as forest reserves as detailed in Chapter 183, Hawaii Revised Statues (HRS). Pursuant to HRS Sections 183-12 and 183-13, DLNR provides notice of public hearing for seven (7) proposed changes affecting the area of government forest reserve lands on the Big Island:
1. Addition of TMK parcel (3) 2-4-008:003 (approximately 1336 acres), to Hilo Forest Reserve (Kukuau section), Waiakea, South Hilo, Hawaii, representing private lands recently acquired by the State for watershed and native ecosystem protection and public hunting.
2. Addition of TMK parcel (3) 3-6-006:046 (approximately 110 acres) to Hilo Forest Reserve (Laupahoehoe section), Laupahoehoe, North Hilo, Hawaii, to provide a site for a field research and education facility in support of the Hawaii Experimental Tropical Forest.
3. Removal of TMK parcels (3) 2-6-018: portions of 004 & 010 (approximately 182 acres), from Hilo Forest Reserve, Piihonua, South Hilo, Hawaii, relating to the Saddle Road realignment project.
4. Cancellation of Panaewa Forest Reserve, Puna and South Hilo, Hawaii, relating to various TMK parcels in the following Plats: (3) 1-6-003, 2-2-046, 2-2-048, 2- 2-052, 2-2-056, 2-2-061, 2-4-004, 2-4-049, and 2-4- 008: portion of 001 (approximately 1125 acres), an after-the-fact removal of lands previously converted to residential and agricultural subdivisions, and for reconsolidation of remnant forest lands with Waiakea Forest Reserve.
5. Addition of TMK parcel (3) 2-4-008:022 & portion of 001 (approximately 1261 acres), to Waiakea Forest Reserve, Panaewa, Waiakea, and Upper Waiakea, South Hilo, Hawaii, for reconsolidation purposes and land for expanded commercial forestry and public hunting opportunities.
6. Removal of TMK parcels (3) 2-4-049: portions of 011, 012, & 031 and 2-4-008: portion of 001 (approximately 4.4 acres) from Waiakea Forest Reserve, Waiakea, South Hilo, Hawaii, an after-the- fact removal of lands previously leased out by the Department for agricultural purposes.
7. Addition of TMK parcel (3) 9-8-001:014 (approximately 1257 acres) to Kau Forest Reserve, Kau and Kapapala, Hawaii, to provide the Kapapala Koa Management Area the added protections of Forest Reserve Statutes and Administrative Rules.
DLNR will hold a public hearing to discuss these proposed Forest Reserve additions at 5:30 pm, July 13, 2009 at the Division of Forestry and Wildlife conference room, 19 East Kawili Street, Hilo, Hawaii 96720.
All interested persons are urged to attend the public hearing to present relevant information and individual opinion for the DLNR to consider. Persons unable to attend or wishing to present additional comments may mail written testimony postmarked no later than July 28, 2009 to the Forestry Program Manager, DLNR Division of Forestry and Wildlife, 1151 Punchbowl St., #325, Honolulu, HI 96813.
Any person requesting an auxiliary aid or service (i.e. large print materials, sign language interpreters) is asked to contact Jacquie Robson at 808-587-4166 or through the Telecommunication Relay Service at 711 by July 6, 2009.