CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN of a public hearing to be held by the Planning Commission of the City and County of Honolulu:
PLACE: City Council Committee Meeting Room, Second Floor
530 South King Street, Honolulu, Hawaii
DATE: November 26, 2008
TIME: 1:30 p.m.
Public hearing notice published in the Honolulu Star Bulletin on November 14, 2008.
REQUEST FOR AMENDMENTS TO CHAPTER 21, REVISED ORDINANCES OF
HONOLULU 1990 (THE LAND USE ORDINANCE), RELATING TO SIGNS
1. Clarify provisions for the Sign Master Plan (zoning adjustment) option, which
provide an adjustment of sign standards to no more than 20 percent (20%) of the
underlying standard, by separating the provisions for sign dimensions, total sign
area, and total number of signs.
2. For properties that choose the Sign Master Plan (zoning adjustment) option,
a. Illumination of sign copy and graphics through a translucent surface when
set within an opaque, unlighted sign field, if the sign is located on the first
floor, for those districts where direct illumination of business signs would
not otherwise be permitted; and
b. Indirectly illuminated signs for second-floor establishments.
3. Amend the definition of “building frontage” to include establishments whose
entryways face walkways and plazas accessible to the public.
4. Allow a small sign bearing the name or emblem of an establishment to be added
to a directional sign for parking garage entries.
5. Add a definition for “small signs,” less than 1-square-foot in sign area, to allow
incidental business identification and information such as hours of operation
without requiring a sign permit.
6. Amend the standard for “wall signs” such that the permitted height is either 20
feet or the third-floor level, whichever is higher (rather than lower).
7. Increase the ratio for business sign area in the Waikiki Special District from 0.5 to
1-square-foot of sign area per linear foot of building frontage, and the maximum
possible sign size from 24 square-feet to 36 square-feet.
8. Increase the maximum size of a building identification sign in the Waikiki Special
District from 4 square-feet to 12 square-feet in sign area.
Information regarding this public hearing can be obtained by contacting the Planning Commission, 7th Floor, Frank F. Fasi Municipal Building, 650 South King Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, telephone 768-8007. Special services for people with disabilities will be provided upon prior request.
Fifteen (15) copies of testimony on any item should be filed with the Planning Commission at least forty-eight (48) hours before the date of the public hearing. One copy may be faxed to 768-6743.
KARIN HOLMA, Chair
HENRY ENG, FAICP
Director of Planning and Permitting