NOTICE TO PROVIDERS OF PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
BOARD OF WATER SUPPLY
CITY AND COUNTY OF HONOLULU
The Board of Water Supply (BWS), City and County of Honolulu, anticipates the need for professional services for the fi scal year 2008-09.
Professional services may be required in, but shall not be limited to, the following project categories:
1. Project Category 09-01CRO: Marketing and Public Relations Services – Provide planning, coordination and implementation services for internal
and external outreach, education and advertising, if necessary, for various BWS projects.
2. Project Category 09-02CRO: Legislative and City Council Liaison – Provide services to perform as the liaison of the BWS with the Hawaii State
Legislature and the City Council, City and County of Honolulu.
3. Project Category 09-03E: Distribution Mains – Prepare plans, specifi cations, and cost estimates to install distribution water mains (12-inch
diameter and smaller) and appurtenances.
4. Project Category 09-04E: Transmission Mains – Prepare plans, specifi cations, and cost estimates to install transmission water mains (16-inch
diameter and larger) and appurtenances.
5. Project Category 09-05E: Topographic and Property Surveys – Provide professional land surveying services including, but not limited to,
preparation of topographic surveys for the installation of waterworks facilities and property surveys for the establishment of easements and property
6. Project Category 09-06E: Geotechnical Engineering – Provide professional geotechnical engineering services.
7. Project Category 09-07E: Civil Engineering – Provide professional civil engineering analysis and design services for the preparation of studies,
plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit applications.
8. Project Category 09-08E: Mechanical Engineering/Pumping Plants – Provide professional mechanical engineering analysis and design services
for the preparation of studies, plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit applications for water pumping stations and related work.
9. Project Category 09-09E: Mechanical Engineering – Provide professional mechanical engineering analysis and design services for the preparation
of studies, plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit applications. Services may be required for, but not limited to, air conditioning,
plumbing, ventilation, SCADA and fi re protection systems.
10. Project Category 09-10E: Electrical Engineering/Pumping Plants – Provide professional electrical engineering analysis and design services for
the preparation of studies, plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit applications for electrical work related to water pumping stations and
water distribution systems.
11. Project Category 09-11E: Electrical Engineering – Provide professional electrical engineering analysis and design services for the preparation
of studies, plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit applications. Services may be required for, but not limited to, power, communications,
signaling, lighting and fi re protection signaling systems.
12. Project Category 09-12E: Structural Engineering – Provide professional structural engineering analysis and design services for the preparation
of studies, plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit applications.
13. Project Category 09-13E: Architectural Services – Provide professional architectural analysis and design services for the preparation of studies,
plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit applications.
14. Project Category 09-14E: Landscape Architecture – Provide professional landscape architectural analysis and design services for the preparation
of studies, plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit applications.
15. Project Category 09-15E: Archaeological Services – Provide archaeological services on an on-call, time and materials basis for BWS projects,
including, but not limited to, the preparation of archaeological survey reports, archaeological monitoring reports, burial mitigation plans, reinterment
of skeletal remains inadvertently discovered during excavation activities, and providing archaeological monitoring services during construction
activities in accordance with Department of Land and Natural Resources State Historic Preservation Division requirements.
16. Project Category 09-16E: Hazardous Waste Management Services – Provide hazardous waste management services on an on-call, time and
materials basis for inadvertent encounters of hazardous materials during BWS construction activities.
17. Project Category 09-17E: Hazardous Materials Services – Provide hazardous materials services for BWS projects. Perform materials testing
and prepare reports of test results and recommendations. Prepare permit applications, plans, and specifi cations for the removal and disposal of
hazardous materials in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations. Provide project inspection and testing at jobsite. Submit fi nal report
and certifi cations.
18. Project Category 09-18E: Environmental Assessments / Environmental Impact Statements – Provide environmental consultant services for the
preparation of environmental assessments or environmental impact statements for BWS projects.
19. Project Category 09-19E: Construction Management – Provide construction management services for BWS projects. Services to be provided
shall include, but not be limited to, review of plans and specifi cations prior to start of construction, construction inspection, contract administration,
cost and quality control; review and recommendation of action on contractor submittals, contract change orders, maintaining the project time
schedule, and claims; and maintenance and submittal of all required records and reports.
20. Project Category 09-20E: Traffi c Control Plans – Provide professional engineering services for the preparation of traffi c control plans for BWS
projects within City and State jurisdictions.
21. Project Category 09-21E: NPDES Permits – Provide consultant services to prepare applications for and to obtain National Pollutant Discharge
Elimination System (NPDES) Permits and all other permits associated with the discharge of water into the storm sewer and sanitary sewer systems
within City and State jurisdictions.
22. Project Category 09-22EC: Water Quality Monitoring and Treatment Research Studies – Conduct potable and nonpotable water quality
monitoring and treatment studies and applied research as directed and in consultation with BWS. Perform related sampling, collection and testing
for various chemical and microbiological parameters as directed. Use approved and accepted test methods and conduct appropriate quality control
procedures. Must have direct experience in designing, conducting and managing water and wastewater research projects.
23. Project Category 09-23EC: NPDES Storm Water Permits and Management
Plans – Provide consultant services to prepare storm water management plans and to obtain national Pollutant Discharge Elimination System
(NPDES) Permits associated with the discharge of water into storm water systems within City and State jurisdictions.
24. Project Category 09-24F: Audit and Accounting Services – Provide professional audit and accounting services and fi nancial analyses for special
projects as needed.
25. Project Category 09-25F: Financial Services – Provide fi nancial services for the issuance and sale of bonds and other fi nancial instruments, for
development and analysis of capital project cash fl ow forecasts, and to enhance system revenue forecasts. Conduct evaluations of alternative rate
and fee structures for both the BWS’s potable and nonpotable water services and options for complementary water affordability and conservation
programs to support the BWS’s strategic objectives. Review and evaluate the BWS’s fi nancial policies and procedures and assist in benchmarking
the BWS’s fi nancial operations relative to industry standards. Facilitate the development and updating of an Annual Report for the BWS that
delineates the BWS’s strategic objectives and plan as well as provides information on the BWS’s fi nancial performance. Provide fi nancial analysis
of alternative investment options available to the BWS and associate implications for system revenue requirements. Provide third party independent
review and recommendation of bond refi nancing options and proposals provided bond underwriters.
26. Project Category 09-26F: Actuarial Analysis – Provide actuarial valuation/reserve analysis for the BWS relating to the fi nancial requirements of
the Hawaii Employer-Union Health Benefi ts Trust Fund.
27. Project Category 09-27F: Bond Compliance Services – Provide professional fi nancial services to perform bond compliance services including,
but not limited to, arbitrage and rebate calculations, continuing disclosure and other related services.
28. Project Category 09-28HR: Human Resource Services – Provide professional human resources services including, but not limited to, the following:
employment risk assessment; medical analysis and assessment; compensation analysis; salary surveys; equal employment/affi rmative action;
training and staff development; workers’ compensation; or services related to human resources management.
29. Project Category 09-29HR: Investigative Services – Provide professional investigative services including, but limited to, the following: conducting
internal investigations concerning all areas of employment such as, but not limited to, theft, workplace violence, drug abuse, threat management
and employee misconduct. In addition, ability to provide surveillance, testimony, investigative reports and background checks.
30. Project Category 09-30IT: Geographic Information System (GIS) Application and Database Development and Update – Perform all services in
connection with developing, integrating and updating GIS applications and BWS GIS database.
31. Project Category 09-31IT: .Net Application Development Services – Plan, design, develop, implement, maintain and support .Net software
32. Project Category 09-32IT: Web Application Services – Plan, design, develop, implement, maintain and support web applications and internet
33. Project Category 09-33IT: Citrix Services – Provide planning, design, implementation, maintenance and support services for Citrix software.
34. Project Category 09-34IT: Filenet and Kofax Services – Provide planning, design, implementation, maintenance and support services for Filenet
and Kofax software.
35. Project Category 09-35IT: Network and IP Phone Services – Provide planning, design, implementation, maintenance and support services for
Cisco network hardware and software, Cisco IP phone system hardware and software and wireless network hardware and software.
36. Project Category 09-36IT: Hydraulic Model Development and Calibration – Perform all services in connection with developing, integrating,
calibrating and maintaining the BWS hydraulic models.
37. Project Category 09-37IT: Global Positioning System (GPS) Application and Data Collection – Perform all services in connection with developing,
integrating and updating GPS applications and collecting BWS infrastructure data using GPS technology.
38. Project Category 09-38IT: On-Site Server and Personal Computer (PC) Management Services- Provide on-site server and PC management
services; on-site help desk services; and PC training services.
39. Project Category 09-39L: Legal Services – Provide professional legal services to the BWS. Services may be required in, but shall not be limited
to, the following areas or specialties: Administrative Law, Bankruptcy, Business (domestic and international), Civil Litigation, Civil Rights including
ADA, Collections, Constitutional Law, Construction Law, Criminal Defense, Eminent Domain, Employment Law including discrimination,
Environmental Law, Governmental Contracting, Labor Law, Land Use including planning and zoning, Procurement, Public and Charitable Trust
Law, Public Financing, Real Estate, Tax, Torts including malpractice, defamation and other international torts, and Workers’ Compensation.
Law fi rms or attorneys interested in being retained to provide legal services in these areas should submit a letter of interest together with a resume
which includes information about the following:
(1) The name of the fi rm or person, the principal place of business, and location of all of its offi ces;
(2) The area(s) of interest for consideration;
(3) The age of the fi rm and its average number of employees over the past years;
(4) The education, training, and qualifi cations of key members of the fi rm;
(5) The names and phone numbers of up to fi ve clients who may be contacted, including at least two for whom services were rendered during
the preceding year;
(6) Any promotional or descriptive literature which the fi rm desires to submit;
(7) The range of hourly rates charged by the attorney, paralegal and other billable staff as well as a summary of the types and amounts of cost
charged by the fi rm;
(8) The jurisdictions (state and courts) in which the attorney is licensed and authorized to practice.
40. Project Category 09-40LD: Decommissioning of Dams/Reservoirs –
Provide professional civil engineering analysis and design services for the preparation of studies, plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit
applications for the decommissioning of dams/reservoirs. Provide necessary services and documentation to meet the requirements of the Hawaii
Dam and Reservoir Safety Act of 2007 in decommissioning the existing dams/reservoirs to protect the health and welfare of the citizens of Oahu.
41. Project Category 09-41OP: Water Treatment – Provide professional engineering analysis and design services for the preparation of studies,
plans, specifi cations, cost estimates, and permit applications for water treatment for water pumping stations and water distribution systems.
42. Project Category 09-42OM: Water System Procedures – Provide planning and implementation services for developing the BWS standard operating
procedures (SOPs) in the areas of water system analysis, programming and operational programs. Services may include, but not limited to,
integrating and coordinating the SOPs with applicable BWS strategies and initiatives (e.g. groundwater sustainability, fi nancial sustainability, level
of water service provided, etc.) Development services, include national benchmarking, organizational development, technical services for utility
water system analysis and capital program procedures, economic analysis tools, and metrics plans.
43. Project Category 09-43S: Security System – Provide planning, design, installation, implementation, integration, maintenance, and support for
BWS access control, video and alarm monitoring system and software.
44. Project Category 09-44WSO: Energy Effi ciency Initiatives Provide planning, design and contracting or construction services and support for
projects primarily aimed at increasing the effi ciency of electrical or mechanical or water distribution network systems.
Any inquiries regarding the project category shall be directed to the Offi ce of Procurement at 748-5078. Any fi rm or person who is interested in
being considered for providing services and who has the qualifi cations and resources should submit a letter of interest together with statements of
qualifi cation in the manner specifi ed under SUBMITTAL MATERIALS REQUIREMENTS.
Award of projects is subject to the availability of funds and approval by the Board of Water Supply. Qualifi cations submitted for only parts of the
work defi ned within the project category shall be considered nonresponsive to this notice.
The BWS will prepare a “list of qualifi ed” consultants for each category of professional service to be utilized throughout the fi scal year. Additional
notices for professional services may be given if (1) the response to the initial notice is inadequate; (2) the response to the initial notice does not
result in adequate representation of available sources; or (3) previously unanticipated needs for professional services arise. Additional notices are
posted on the BWS website. The website address is www.boardofwatersupply.com.
SUBMITTAL MATERIALS REQUIREMENTS
1. Letter of interest indicating the specifi c categories in which services are offered.
2. PROVIDE FOUR COPIES OF SEPARATE STATEMENT OF QUALIFICATIONS FOR EACH CATEGORY. Each statement shall highlight
qualifi cations, expertise, and experience relevant to the specifi c project category. Separate statements will allow simultaneous review by multiple
screening/review committees. Failure to provide separate statements of qualifi cations may limit consideration.
3.The Standard Form Revised 330 (SFR330) shall be used as the standard format for the statement of qualifi cations. The form can be
downloaded from the Board of Water Supply website at (www.boardofwatersupply.com) or obtained from the BWS Offi ce of Procurement at
630 South Beretania Street, Third Floor, Room 307. (NOTE: Only submittals for Project Categories 09-03E – 09-19E are required to complete
sections C and D of the SFR 330.)
4. Curricula vitae for all key personnel within the fi rm shall also be included with the SFR330.
5. Subconsultants to be utilized on specifi c projects shall be listed on the submitted SFR330. A separate SFR330 for each subconsultant shall not
6.The following information shall be included in the SFR330 form:
a. The name of the fi rm or person’s principal place of business and locations of all of its offi ces;
b. The age of the fi rm and its average number of employees over the past fi ve years;
c. The education, training, and qualifi cations of key members of the fi rm;
d. The names and phone numbers of up to fi ve clients who may be contacted, including at least two for whom services were rendered during the
e. Certifi cation as a recognized or registered small, minority, women-owned, veteran-owned, service disabled veteran-owned, HUBzone, and/
or other disadvantaged business enterprises as defi ned by the U.S. Government. It is BWS’ intention to award a fair proportion of purchases,
contracts, and subcontracts with small business concerns as prescribed by the U.S. Government. Evaluation criteria for award will include
considerations for such business enterprises;
f. Certifi cation that applicant and its principals, to the best of its knowledge and belief: (a) are not presently debarred, suspended, proposed for
debarment, declared ineligible, or voluntarily excluded by any federal department or agency; (b) have not within a three-year period
preceding this submission been convicted of or had a civil judgment rendered against them for commission of fraud or a criminal offense
in connection with obtaining, attempting to obtain, or performing a public (Federal, State or County) transaction or contract under a public
transaction; violation of Federal or State antitrust statutes or commissions of embezzlement,theft, forgery, bribery, falsifi cation or destruction
of records, making false statements, or receiving stolen property; (c) are not presently indicted for or otherwise criminally or civilly charged
by a governmental entity (Federal, State or County) with commission of any of the offenses enumerated in paragraph (b) of this section; and
(d) have not within a three-year period preceding this submission had one or more public transactions (Federal, State or County) terminated
for cause or default.
g. Any confl ict of interest in performing services for the Board of Water Supply and/or the City and County of Honolulu;
h. A listing of all projects under contract with the Board of Water Supply and/or the City and County of Honolulu;
i. Proposed staff commitment;
j. Other pertinent data related to the project category;
k. Any promotional or descriptive literature that the fi rm desires to submit.
l. Past record of performance on contracts with respect to cost control, quality of work, and ability to meet schedules.
7. Delivery address for submittals is as follows:
Attn: Statements of Qualifi cations
Board of Water Supply
City and County of Honolulu
Offi ce of Procurement
Public Service Building, Room 307
630 South Beretania Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96843
Submit the submittal materials no later than 4:30 p.m. on July 7, 2008 to the BWS Offi ce of Procurement. Submittals received after this date may
receive limited consideration. NO FACSIMILE OR ELECTRONIC SUBMITTALS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Access our Internet – This information is available from the BWS website at www.boardofwatersupply.com.
CLIFFORD P. LUM
Manager and Chief Engineer
Board of Water Supply~